Intorduction to Oral History
This course was designed and delivered by Dr Gary West, University of Edinburgh who has kindly agreed that his materials can be shared online.
The purpose of the course is to look at the basics processes and planning of oral history projects and interviews. As a practical course, it also includes trainees preparing and undertaking interviews with one another using digital voice recorders.
The course covers
- What is oral history
- Starting an oral history project
- Planning interviews
- Interview techniques
- What happens after the interview?
A stock of good quality Olympus voice records are held by Tasglann nan Eilean Siar and can be leant to groups undertaking oral history projects in the Outer Hebrides.
- Oral History presentation - the course content
- Interview practice session - planning and undertaking an interview
- Ethical Guidelines - produced by the Oral History Society