Uig Source List


Records made accessible through Tasglann nan Eilean Siar.

Unless otherwise stated, the following archive collections are stored in Stornoway.  Subject to their physical condition making them suitable to travel, they may be made accessible through the Comhairle’s library and museum service across the islands.  Full catalogues are available on request.



            1          Local Government Records

            2          Schools

            3          Deposited records

            4          Other sources



Uig Parish Council

Established in 1845, Parishes (or Parochial Boards as they started out) were responsible for raising and administering poor relief.  Uig Parish Council was abolished in 1930 with its powers transferring to Uig District Council.


Minutes 1907-1930

Applications for parochial relief 1925-30

General Registers of the poor 1885-1930


Lewis District Committee

The District Committee was established in 1890, undertaking functions on behalf of Inverness-shire County Council.  Its main responsibilities included roads and bridges and various local amenities that fell outwith the Parish Council’s remit.  The Committee was abolished in 1930.


Minutes 1890-1930

Lewis District Council

Lewis District Council was established in 1930 to serve as local agents for Ross and Cromarty County Council.  Responsibilities included public health, nursing, housing, roads, harbours, water supply and drainage but excluded police and education.  It was abolished in 1975 with its powers transferring to the newly formed Comhairle nan Eilean.


Minutes 1930-1935

Abstract of accounts 1956-1972

Account books 1915-1969

Cash Book 1949-1974

Lewis District Council Cash Book 1960-1963

Lewis Nursing Service Petrol Cash Book 1968-1971

Assessment cash books (District rate) 1944-1950

Scroll cash Book 1959-1970

Postage Book 1951-1958

Surveyor’s Cash Book 1926-1940

Wardbook 1971-1973

Plant for roads book 1922-1937

Order Book 1962-1971

Account books 1954-1957

Cash Book for Social Work 1961-1968

Postage Book 1968-1971

Lewis planning sub committee misc papers 1959-1968

Parish of Uig Valuation Roll 1948-1949


Lewis Combination Poorhouse, Stornoway

Although situated in Stornoway, the poorhouse covered the parished of Uig, Lochs, Barvas and Stornoway.


Minute books 1893-1970

Letter books 1914-1933

Cash books 1953-1968

Visiting Committee Reports 1926-1962

Garden Records 1941-1967



Graveyards are owned and maintained by the community:


Ardroil  :                       Records held by cemetery clerk


2          SCHOOLS

NB:      Log books are closed to public access for 35 years; admission registers for 100 years from the last entry in the volume


Uig School Board / District Education Sub Committee

Established in 1872 and function in various guises until 1975, the functions of the School Boards were absorbed into the Education Department of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar in 1975.


No early records of the school boards appear to have survived.  Post 1975 records are held by the Comhairle.  The following individual school records are held:


Bernera:                      4 log books 1880-1950


Breasclete:                  Records not held


Carloway:                    Records not held


Crowlista:                    Admission register 1880-1964 (open 2065) kept at Uig Museum, 4 log books 1880-1969 kept at Stornoway Library, Library lending register kept at Uig Museum


Crulivig:                       3 log books 1908-1962 kept at Stornoway Library


Dun Carloway:            2 log books 1880-1964 kept at Stornoway Library


Islivig:                          2 log books 1881-1949, Admission register 1881-1912 (open 2013), Admission register 1913-1949 (open 2050) both kept in Uig Museum


Loch Croistean:           Admission register (copy) 1879-1957 (open 2058) kept at Uig Museum, Admission register 1957-1968 (open 2013) kept at Uig Museum, Log book 1989 kept in Uig Museum, 3 log books 1879-1971 kept at Stornoway Library, Public Evening Log Book 1979-1899 kept at Stornoway Library


Mangersta:                  Admission register 1912-1962 (open 2063) kept at Uig Museum, Admission register 1965-1969 (open 2070) kept at Uig Museum, Log Books 1912-1962 kept in Stornoway Library, Pupils presented for Post Qualifying Courses 1924-1947 kept at Uig Museum


Valtos:                         Admission registers 1887-1911 (open 2012), Admission registers 1911-1959 (open 2060), Admission Registers Senior School 1959-1971 (open 2072), Attendence register 1921 (open 2022) all kept at Uig Museum, log books 1904-1971 kept at Stornoway Library


Papers regarding dispute between Uig and Lochs School Boards regarding financial

assets of Carloway School




4          OTHER SOURCES

There are many collections of useful archives held in private or voluntary group hands relating to the Uig area.  There is no statutory right of access to these records but many custodians are willing to aid researchers. The following organisations may well be worth contacting for help with your research.  Further details can be found at http://www.tasglann.org.uk


Uig Historical Society

Uig Historical Society have a museum at Timsgarry and exhibit very interesting artefacts regarding the local area. Their website is very informative and has great photographs to look at. Their website can be found at www.ceuig.com

            Local churches

Church records can be a useful resource for researchers.  Where they survive they are still held by the churches


Leave a comment