tasglann

Uig Historical Society

About

Uig Historical Society was established in 1984 and covers the area from Scaliscro to Breanish, including the islands off the West coast of the area. The area includes Ardroil, the finding place of the Lewis Chessmen.  They operate a museum based within the Uig Community Centre that is open in the summer months and by appointment at other times. The museum display include artefacts, photographs, maps and a re-created blackhouse kitchen of c1919 as well as providing space to access the extensive archive of genealogies and local history files compiled by the membership.

Archive collections

Uig Historical Society contributed data to Hebridean Connections and much of the Society‚Äôs genealogical data, archive material and artefacts have been digitised and are available through the website.

Archive collections include:

  • Oral histories
  • Copies of parish registers and estate records
  • Community council records
  • Croft histories and genealogies
  • Photograph collection
  • Admissions register 1880-1964,  Library Lending Register for Crowlista Public School
  • Admission registers for Islivig Public School (Breanish)
  • Admission registers 1879-1968 for Lochcroistean Public School
  • Admission registers 1912-1969 and Pupils presented for Post-Qualifying Courses 1924-1947 for Mangersta Public School
  • Admission registers 1887-1971, attendance register 1921 for Valtos Public School
  • Admission register 1994-2000 for Uig School

Contact

Museum/archive address

Uig Museum, Uig Community Centre, Timsgarry, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9JT

Opening times

12 - 5pm, May - September

1 -4pm April

Email

museumuig@yahoo.co.uk

Website

www.ceuig.co.uk

Geographic coverage Kinlochroag, Morsgail ,Gisla, Enaclete, Geshader, Carishader, Miavaig and the Valtos Peninsula, Aird, Crowlista, Timsgarry, Ardroil, Carnish, Mangersta, Islivig, Brenish, Mealista

 

 

Leave a comment