tasglann

South Uist Historical Society

 

Kildonan Museum, South Uist

About

South Uist Historical Society was founded in 1989 and is based at Kildonan Museum on the Isle of South Uist.  Their museum hosts a permanent exhibition relating to the island, much of which is based around items collected by the late Canon John Morrison of Iochdar.  The museum has gained accredited status with Museums Galleries Scotland.

Museum displays include:

  • Paintings and photographs by Dr. Robertson
  • Prince on the Run’ exhibition on the Jacobites telling the story of Bonnie Prince Charlie and local island heroine Flora MacDonald which includes loan items from National Museums Scotland
  • Items relating to notable folklorist Fr. Allan MacDonald, on loan from the National Trust for Scotland’s Canna House
  • Rare Pictish skeleton found at a site near Kildonan (colloquially known as Kilphedar Kate)
  • ‘Aileach’ - a replica Viking ship

 

Archive collections

Significant photographic archives are held depicting life in South Uist, notably that of Margaret Fay Shaw (1903-2004), folklorist and photographer, to whom the archive room is dedicated.

  • Photographic collection
  • Bill Innes photograph collection
  • Margaret Fay Shaw photograph collection
  • Dr Robertson photograph collection

Contacts

Museum/archive address

Kildonan Museum, Kildonan, South Uist, HS8 5RZ

Opening times

April-October, Mon-Sun 10am-5pm

Telephone

01878 710 343

Email

admin@kildonanmuseum.co.uk

Website

www.kildonanmuseum.co.uk

Geographic coverage

South Uist

 

 

Leave a comment