tasglann

Local government records

Local government records for the Western Isles date back to 1845 with the establishment of the Parochial Board and later Parish Council system to adminster poor relief.  With the establishment of County Council's in 1890, District Committees were established to manage the Council's business locally.  In 1930, District Committees were replaces by District Council's until these were swept away in 1975 and a new unitary authority, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar was established.

Clicking on a link below will open the catalogue for each collection in our collections database. 

Barra

Parochial Board / Parish of Barra, 1872-1943
 

South Uist & Benbecula

Parochial Board / Parish Council of South Uist, 1891-1963
 

North Uist

Parochial Board / Parish Council of North Uist, 1870-1948
 

Harris

Parochial Board / Parish Council of Harris, 1863-1932
 

Lewis

Lewis Combination Poorhouse / Coulregrein House (Stornoway), 1893-1970
 
Barvas Parochial Board / Parish Council 1884-1930
 
 
Police Commissioners of Burgh of Stornoway / Stornoway Town Council, 1864-1975
Stornoway Parochial Board / Parish Council, 1845-1943
 
Uig Parochial Board / Parish Council, 1885-1930
 

Inverness-shire County Council

Records held by Highland Archives, Inverness.
 

Ross & Cromarty County Council

Valuation & Assessment Rolls are held but are incomplete for 1899-1973.  
All other records held by Highland Archives, Inverness.
 

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar

Minutes and agendas, 1974-present

 

Leave a comment