Introduction to Cataloguing
This training session has been delivered successfully to many history societies either as a half day session or split over a number of visits.
Its purpose is to introduce the basics of arranging and cataloguing archive collections with an emphasis on practical skills. By the end of the course, participants have each catalogued a small collection from their own archive collections.
The course covers:
- What is an archive collection
- Why we catalogue
- Arrangement of archives
- Description of archives
- Project approaches to cataloguing collections
The course materials are available here but if you would like us to host a practical session with your group working with your own collections we would be delighted to do so.
- Cataloguing archives presentation
- Cataloguing archives presentation - accompanying notes
- Task 1: What is a collection
- Sample catalogues
- Cataloguing templates